Love can make or break you

by - September 22, 2019


as I'm writing this, please get in your mind that it is based on my life experience & preferences:

I figure out one of my close friends who went through a hard time (read: the partner left my friend) for someone else and what makes me sad is that it was his first time liking someone, or in other word - his first love.

To make it short, this close friend of mine, let's call him Z, was in a relationship with a girl for quite long enough, then suddenly I knew that girl is with someone else already. It breaks my heart twice first because my close friend didn't tell me, second because I knew his love for that girl was true. Up till this day, I have heard so many love stories from my close friends, be it confused feelings, the spark isn’t there like how it used to or it doesn’t feel the same anymore and etc.

I'd never thought how a person could affect someone's life that it's either make or break you. and yes, I had my first heartbreak and it was awful that I pray none of my close friends will ever go through what I had. Surprisingly, it happened sooner than what I’ve expected but that was a long time ago (not that long)

Even though I have never been in a relationship before, but the misery itself taught me a lot that I am pretty much able to put my place in my friends’ situation. Things happened, I learned, I moved on and I never been happier ever since.

Back to this Z-story, I feel bad for him that she took him for granted, never liked the girl in the first-place pun as I’ve been hearing unpleasant gossips about her so I wasn’t that surprised but they lasted longer than I’ve predicted. I talked to Z since what I went through was likely the same – heartbreak.

When it was my time, my friends were all there for me, I didn’t feel alone, not a single bit. I remembered; Sab was constantly checking on me the whole week. The first thing I saw on my phone everyday was WhatsApp message – “Sarah, okay dah?” “Sarah, have a great day ahead!”, then Farah made time to call me despite her busy schedule, and John annoyingly asking if I’m doing well (wuv you, babe). I was lucky, and I’m grateful for amazing friends, always.

I wanted to do the same to Z, but I’d never think I’ll able to do what my friends did for me back then. Then, I told him I surely know how he feels at the moment even he didn’t say it. Z said he never talked about it to anyone because he didn’t want people to see how fragile he is. Truth is, that is one of the features of feelings.

Feelings itself is a solid noun, and what makes it unique is that you can have different emotions at one time – mixed feelings. It is okay to cry if you just got break up and I don’t think you look less macho pun. Cry all you want if that will help you ease your heartache, shout if you have to because as far as I’m concerned, keeping everything to yourself is unhealthy.


In my humble opinion, cheating is a choice, being loyal to your partner is a choice too, you decide to stay or leave. Even liking someone else when you are with someone else is a tiny chance created by yourself. If you ask me personally what do I think about kesetiaan (loyalty) – it presents you as a whole, and for me, loyalty comes with a price, can you afford it? It comes with respect, honesty, trust which made it likely a diamond. Once you crack or accidentally drop it, it might unbreakable but there will be scratches somewhere that it won’t be the same anymore.

To anyone who is having a likely tough time in moving on or middle of tension situation with your partner, please prioritize yourself before anyone else. I might sound selfish but you are your longest commitment after all so do what makes you happy and what you think the best for you. Know your worth and if your partner makes you a better person, that’s a good sign. Girls will radiantly glow more than ever if they are with the right people, just like what I see in my close friend. She went through a lot, and I’m glad she found someone who makes her happy the way she deserves to!

My advice is time will definitely heal, let it go and let God. It took me quite some time to move on as well, but I've learned to love myself even more throughout the way. It is okay to cry every night before sleep; it doesn’t make you look any less weak because we humans have feelings. I’ll pray that the day of – you realized that you just don’t care about him/her anymore, and completely erased whatever nightmares you had, and trust me, there will be a person who will take your pain away in shaa Allah aamiin! If you are brave enough to love, then you are bold enough for inhuman heartbreaks.

Love cannot be found where it does not exist nor can it be hidden where it truly does – William Shakespeare

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. thank you for the good words, this is beautifully written! Semoga dikurniakan jodoh yang terbaik untuk awak.

    ReplyDelete